Pages

Saturday 3 March 2012

GW/SW - 003

GW/SW 003   1/03/12. - Fan Brycheiniog

Height 802 M / 2630 ft
Grid reference SO 825218

Report from GW6OVD


I arrived at SN855 223 at around 10.40 to find roadside parking for 3 or 4 cars. I parked up and loaded the rucksack.  


Looking towards Fan Brycheiniog , which was obscured by low cloud, I could see no obvious path.   I headed off in the right general direction until I found a good point to cross the stream.  It quickly became very wet underfoot, especially where it flattens out a little after the first ridge.


Looking back from this point my car was barely visible through the mist.

I pressed on until I reached Llyn y Fan Fawr  (SN833 213) and stopped for a rest and a quick cup of coffee.

From here, the path is very good, and rises steeply towards the Summit. 

At the summit there is a circular stone shelter which made a good point to operate from.

After erecting the antenna I quickly managed to make enough contacts for my activation, with excellent reports from as far as Cardigan, Milford Haven and Swindon.

By this time the weather had taken a turn for the worst and it was time to head back home.  

Total distance covered was 7.2km, walking time around 1 hour 20 minutes each way.

Sorry there’s no photos this time, but some idiot forgot to put a SD card in the camera before leaving, Hi Hi



Many thanks to all those who helped with my activation of Fan Brycheiniog.



73 Mal  GW6OVD 

No comments:

Post a Comment